Today I am in the studio. I have been writing my research paper, or worry about my research paper a lot lately, and it has kept me from making. Today I am making. Having had some feedback recently where a few things were brought to my attention, which I was not seeing, I am trying to begin to change.
I am toying with the idea of not cutting out the brushstrokes exactly as I have been. Maybe giving them more room. Maybe even changing up the order of doing things.
Here are a few pieces I have worked on so far today. I have been wanting to make these span shapes, where I make them from a kneeling position, and get to the full reach of my arm. The first, the one at the top, I made, having not yet decided how I would cut it out. I am considering cutting out only half of it.
The second one, I decided to cut out the shape of the vinyl before painting. I notice how I am so effected by the square boundaries of the vinyl that I paint on, so starting off with an irregular shape changed the way I thought as I made the gesture.
This last one was just an alteration to an earlier brushstroke which I had kicking around in my studio. I brushed off the edge of a cutout brushstroke. I’m not sold on it. This technique may form part of a work in the future, but I don’t think it’s enough of a step away. I am more pleased with the green, yellow and white gesture on light blue. And will perhaps apply it to a wall and then paint over the top of it.
More to come on these. More hours in the day would be helpful!