I want to share with you some play from my first few weeks in this, my new studio (now more newish than new). It’s a good space, reasonable light, quite a decent size, compared to what I’ve had before and after a short period of being stuck on paper, I let fly at the wall.
I started by painting a large series of gestures on the wall. A happy accident: I ran out of the aqua paint I had been using, so I went off to have more mixed for me. The colour did not match perfectly, and as I have done with the same problem in a previous work, I made it a feature; a slightly paler section of gesture. I connected it to a red square that covers the corner and stretches out onto the floor. I used clear vinyl on the floor, which I then painted on and trimmed. I wanted to move the corner, so in the red square I placed some strips of thing white vinyl, drawing a new place for the corner of the space using the three diverging lines.
In such a small space (in the scheme of things), the illusion of the moved corner doesn’t work quite as well as it might. In a larger space, you could stand in the optimum angle and the optimum distance, instead of running into a studio partition.
This really felt like a stand alone couple of shapes, not a work. Just an exercise. In the days and now weeks following and despite projents started and completed elsewhere, it’s still there on my studio wall – now under layers of other experiments. More to come on that. I will introduce me to my new material muse in the next post. Ooo!